Sunday, August 19, 2012

The poem read by Yeancah of Soundcity at Word UP (Spoken Word Poetry and Soul Music Event) held in Unilag August 18, 2012 (poem was written by Tofarati)


CRAZY LOVE | Shared by Yeancah

We make love with punches and kicks,
Make up with hugs and kisses,
This crazy whirlwind of ours,
That we call love,
Seems so strange,
Yet so familiar,
I find comfort in your rage,
Seek solace in your arms,
But you always bring me harm,
And I ask myself,
Am I crazy?
Have I lost my mind?
Or have I been hypnotised,
By this bestiality,
My beauty,
Seems to bring out the beast in you,
I thought they said love was true,
Guess whoever said that didn't think it through,
Cos our love is filled with violence,
A slap today,
A shove tomorrow,
You hurt me to my bone marrow,
My man, my anchor,
You're supposed to be my shield,
But you're the one who causes me pain,
You're driving me insane,
Yet I have to put on a happy face,
A fake smiley,
While inwardly I cry,
And ask, why me?
We hold hands together,
And people think we're the perfect couple,
How wrong they are,
I pity those who wish to be in my shoes,
What fools!
I beg to be let loose,
For of what use,
Are appearances to a ghost,
The society has chained me to you,
Cos they say it should be for better for worse,
I thought marriage was supposed to be fun,
Only now I know better,
It's an emotional prison,
And I wish to be set free,
Marriage should be a celebration of love,
Not a festival of hate,
I choose to live,
I choose to leave,
I'd rather have a dead marriage,
Than a dead body!

written by Tofarati


No comments:

Post a Comment